We’ve talked a lot about our cute canines, but let’s not forget about the fancy felines! What would the internet be without cats anyway? So here are some fun and interesting facts about cats (meow)!
- The earliest pictorial depiction of a domesticated cat was found in Egypt from around 1950 BCE. The cat is confronting a rat! (Serpell)
- Also in Egypt, it was a capital offense to kill a cat. Even if by accident (Serpell).
- Calico cats are mostly female! This is because the coat color in cats is a sex-linked trait. The genetic coding for orange and black is found on the X chromosome. The white coloring is linked to a completely different gene. Since females are XX, they can potentially display both orange and black. Males are XY, they only have one X to display either black or orange. Although, there are cats that exist that are XXY. Thus the rare male calico (Crosby).
Floyd is only orange and white, making him an XY kitty.
- Cats can make about 100 different sounds (“Fun Feline Facts”).
- Cat fur does not insulate well – that’s why they don’t like water (Jon).
- In 1963 the first cat went into space. She was a French cat named Felicette (Jon).
- When a cat rubs on you, yes – they are showing affection, but they are also marking you! (Jon)
- A cat’s nose pad is just like a finger print. Everyone is unique! (Jon)
I hope you enjoyed these fun kitty facts!
P.S. These are all pictures of the cute kitties I watch!
Crosby, Janet Tobiassen. “Are Calico Cats Always Female?” About.com. n.p., n.d., Web. 19 March 2015.
“Fun Feline Facts.” Cornell Feline Health Center. Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. 2014. Web. 19 March 2014.
Jon. “17 Fun Cat Facts.” Daily Random Facts. Vacca Foeda Media. 10 May 2011. Web. 19 March 2014.
Serpell, James A. The Domestic Cat: The biology of its behavior. Ed. Dennis C.Turner and Patrick Bateson. 2nd edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000. Web.